So you're getting ready to reach out to friends, family, coworkers, neighbors, and more to bring more donations and support to YES?! FANTASTIC. Thank you!
We're here to help with tips, tools, and plenty of support. Don't hesitate to write us at email@example.com for any reason!
Meanwhile, our strongest recommendation to you is the 3-Email Approach:
- Send your first email out by January 24th. There's a template below that you can copy, paste, customize, and send.
- Send a second email when you've hit a milestone, like 25% of the way to your fundraising goal, or by February 4th. Include an update on your progress, gratitude to people who've given, and then paste that same info from before. This is a great time to start hitting up your social media world - your fundraising page has easy sharing icons along the left side!
- Your final email can go out as race-day approaches, especially with messages like "help me cross the finish line" and other encouragement to people to give! This is also prime social-media time!
And that's it! You'll be up and running with your outreach and you can sit back (or train for the race) and enjoy the great feeling you'll get as folks start to pitch in. Remember that every donation of every size makes a difference!
Here's our suggested template for your first group email; be sure to personalize it with your own photos, connection to YES and links to your personal and/or team fundraising pages! If you haven't set that up yet, do so here.
Dear friends and family,
I am excited to share with you about an event I’m participating in to support YES (insert your relationship to YES if the folks you’re writing to don’t know already!) It is shaping up to be a very fun day in which we can connect with each other, YES staff, board, and participants, and other community members in a beautiful outdoor spot right in Richmond where YES’s work is focused.
This “Fund-Racer” will support YES's work providing low-income Richmond youth, families, and adults with transformational facilitated experiences in nature, and with progressive leadership development opportunities that help bring the much needed benefits of their experiences in nature back into their home, schools, neighborhoods, and lives.
Our goal is to raise $30,000 while walking and running the “Brazen Victory” 5K, 10K, or Half-Marathon in the Richmond Marina on February 23rd! I’d like to invite you to join me. To be part of this community effort to support YES, you can:
1) Donate Now! [insert link to your personal donation page] I’ll be [walking/running] the [5k/10k/half-marathon] and I hope you’ll sponsor me with a donation to YES.
2) Join us as a "Fund-Racer" in three quick steps:
- Sign up for the race by clicking here: http://brazenracing.com/r/victory.html. YES will reimburse your costs if you can raise at least $250 (which is easier than it might sound).
- Start your own Fund-Racer page: Click the "Become a Fund-Racer" link (http://www.tinyurl.com/YESN2N) and in just a few minutes, you'll have a personalized fundraising page. You can join my team: [name of your team with link to your team page if you have one]
- Email your friends, family, and coworkers, tell them why you're doing this, and ask them to donate to your page! We've found that a group email is the best way to get started, with follow-up posts on social media to give updates and remind your community what you're up to.
The cost of the race goes up on February 3rd, so I encourage you to sign up soon! YES will pick up your race t-shirt (if you order one) and special race bib for you, so you do not need to have yours mailed unless you want it before race day.